A geared motor is a component whose mechanism adjusts the speed of the motor, leading them to operate at a certain speed. geared motor have the ability to deliver high torque at low speeds, as the gearhead functions as a torque multiplier and can allow small motors to generate higher speeds.
A geared motor can also be defined as a gear reducer because essentially, it is a combination of a speed reducer with a motor typically functioning as a gearbox, to reduce speed making more torque available.
Geared motor can be classified based on the motor they are paired with, including bevel, helical, hypoid, spur and worm gears.
Each of these gears have advantages and disadvantages. For example, helical gears possess more torque capacity than spur gears, hence, generating less noise. Worm gears work efficiently in the low torque angel and are good for high speed reductions.
Geared motors can be classified based on different elements. The two most common geared motor types are right angle geared motor and inline geared motor.
• Right-angle geared motor use worm, bevel or hypoid gearing.
• Inline geared motor typically use spur gears, helical or planetary gear sets.
• Parallel shaft geared motors type helical gears.
• Inline helical geared motors
The helical gear units are coaxial units where the gear unit output shaft is in-line with the motor shaft. The in-line helical motors are mostly used for slow speed/high torque applications.
• Parallel shaft geared motor
This type of geared motor which uses gears to accomplish speed reduction. The motor shaft and the speed reducer shaft are on parallel planes in this specific geared motor.
The Parallel Shaft Geared Motor can use three types of gears to accomplish the transmission.
• Spur Gears are widespread. The teeth on the gear wheel is straight and is parallel to the drive shaft of the speed reducer.
• In Helical gears, the teeth are oblique to the axis of rotation. They transfer greater and power and speed and are relatively more silent and enduring.
• Double helical gears are used to eliminate the axial thrust, the rotation is elicited by the shaft itself.
• Agitator, Conveyors, Carriage Drives & various material handling equipment.
• Industries– Sugar, Paper, Cement, Pharmaceuticals, Food processing
• Worm or 90-degree gear motor
This is one of the simplest types of geared motor composed of a toothed worm wheel, generally made of bronze with a steel shaft at its centre. The wheel is constantly in contact with the steel screw whose shape looks like that of a worm.
Why is it called a 90-degree motor?
The shafts are set up at a 90-degree angle which is one of its main features.
• Bevel Helical geared motors
These types of geared motors are angular geared motors with the output shaft rotated through 90 degrees to the motor shaft. For high output torques, helical geared motor is desirable, as there is a requirement of high density of power of angular geared motor.
• Packaging, Mixing, Conveyor, Cranes
• Industries- Food Processing, Paper, Sugar, Cement, Material Handling, Pharmaceuticals